AOTS Group is pleased to announce...
♦Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy conference will be back in CA, 10/20/2016.♦ ♦ The conference venue this year will be at Loyola Law School .
We hope to see you all there!
Agenda **Section 504, twice exceptional (2E), Title 2/ADA regarding law about hearing, vision and communication and parents rights to chose AAC devices will also be topics covered on the agenda.
8:30 -9:00 Registration 9:00-10:30 Introductions
- IDEA History, Book Overview, US Supreme Ct Cases
- Section 1400 Findings, Purpose
- Section 1401 Definitions: Disability, Special Education, Related Services, LD, etc.
10:30-10:45 Break 10:45-12:00
- Section 1412 Extended School Year, Child Find, Least Restrictive, Private Placements
- Understanding Tests and Measurements, and the Bell Curve, Standard Scores, Scale Scores, % ranks, Grade Equivalent, Age Equivalent, Determining progress v. regression using Bar Graphs
12:00-1:00 Lunch 1:00-2:30
The Parent as the Special Ed Manager and Expert
- Section 1414 Evaluations and IEPs
- S.M.A.R.T. IEPs
- Section 1415 Due Process, Rules of Procedure, Discipline
- Section 504, ADA, FERPA, NLCB
- Charter Schools, Food Allergies, Anaphylaxis, Epi-Pens
- Recent Cases - IDEA, 504 and ADA
- USDOJ cases and OCR rulings
- Legal, systemic and “school culture” obstacles to compliance with IDEA-04
- Litigation: Special Ed Caselaw
- Developing the Master Plan
- Knowing the Rules of the Game
- Recognizing and Avoiding the Fatal Obstacles
- How to Deal with Conflict, a Healthy and Normal event
- Crisis, Emergency, Help
- Organization of the Child’s File
2:30-2:45 Break 2:45-4:00
- Tactics and Strategies
- Rule of Adverse Assumptions
- Private Evaluations
- Paper Trails
- The Letter to the Stranger
- 5 Ws + H + E
- Preparation for Meetings
- Meeting Strategies
4:00-4:30 Questions and Answers